Have you ever been told something so much that you started to believe it?
During my high school years, I was in a very emotionally and verbally abusive relationship. I was pretty confident at the beginning but after several months, this young man began to wear me down. After a year or so, I became very depressed and he began calling me weak-minded. Eventually, I started to hate myself because I started to believe everything he said about me. I had no concept of the fact that I was the only one who could control what I thought about me! No one had said, “Here’s how to restore your self-image!” So here I am, sharing what I learned the hard way.
To read the first two articles on identity issues start here-
While still ignorant of my own self-worth, I built this wall. I didn’t want to be weak and in an attempt to overcome this label that God never intended for me, I became someone I wasn’t. Not only did I become the person he was saying I was, but I became someone worse.
Sometimes in life, we will take on what people say about us or we even label ourselves because of a mistake that we’ve made. But we are not our mistakes; we are daughters of the Most High God. And though it hurts, we can’t base our lives on what people may say about us. We have to stay fixed on the truths of who we are.
We were created to be a perfect reflection of Christ. But, in order to be who God created us to be, we have to remove any negative labels we may have accepted in our lives. Take some time to consider the following questions:
- What lies were spoken over you as a child?
- What relationships have had the greatest influence over how you see yourself?
- List any words/labels make you cringe when you hear them?
- What wounds are you still nursing instead of facing them head on?
- What is your greatest insecurity or fear? Can you identify where those feelings began?
- Are your current relationships suffering because of your insecurities?
- What goals would you set or attain if you didn’t have these insecurities?
Restore your Self-Image
As you embark upon this journey of restoring your self-image, I want you to be intentional about not turning back to false labels. Meditate on the following truths daily until they are as real to you as they are to God. If you need encouragement or want to discuss the topic further, please feel free to email me at [email protected].
- I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)
- God is within me, I will not fall. Psalm 46:5 (NIV)
- I am valuable. I am worth far more than diamonds. Proverbs 31:10 (MSG)
- I am intimately known by my Heavenly Father and have been set apart. Jeremiah 1:5*
- I have been chosen and called out of darkness into his marvelous light to show others the goodness of God. 1 Peter 2:9
- I am a daughter of the King. I am an heir to the kingdom of Heaven. Galatians 3:26-29
- I am worthy. God purchased me for a very high price. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- The Lord shows me off. I am a crown of beauty in his hand. I am not forsaken. He delights in me and claims me as his bride. Isaiah 62:3-4
- I am God’s masterpiece. I have been made new in Christ Jesus. I will fulfill all of God’s good plans for me. Ephesians 2:10
- I will no longer be a slave to fear or lies. Jesus Christ calls me his friend. I have been appointed to produce lasting fruit. John 15:15-16
*All scriptures used are from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise specified.